Wednesday 28 January 2009

Griottines!



I came across Griottines when I first moved to Paris. They come from the east of France and are actually small cherries soaked in Kirsch liquer... superlicious stuff. I - who would not even touch one maraschino cherry - can eat a bunch of these straight from the jar, the liquer syrup is heavenly too. I introduced these gems to my sister when she was here for a visit last year and boy, was she sold immediately. It is hard to find them though, most supermarkets don't carry them. I got my supply from the Nicolas stores here in France. They are beautifully packaged and ready to be given away as gifts. Some of my friends would buy them in large jars whenever they go to the east of France as these things keep a long time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm... i didn't know about this. Now you made me very curious and I will have to check it out.

My FIL makes cherries liquor himself with the cherries he picked in his garden. :)